Friday, December 16, 2016

Top Five: Favorite Books of 2016

As 2016 wraps up, I decided to share with you my favorite 5 books I read this year. (No specific order)

        1. Across The Universe by Beth Revis




The cover of this book caught my attention, which made me grab the book and start reading it. Though I must mention it's a bit misleading as the book's main plot barely includes romance. This book is about Amy, a seventeen years old girl being transported with many people as a frozen cargo on a spaceship to a new planet, destined to arrive in 300 years from take-off. but, not everything goes to plan.  As a science-fiction fan I really enjoyed the dystopian space mystery in this book.

Favorite quotes:

"I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one." 

"Maybe the secrets of the stars have nothing to do with being alone."

      2. Bird Box by Josh Malerman


The world is not safe anymore, something terrifying exists and must not be seen. No one knows what it is or where it came from. Malorie, is a survivor with her two children. Blind folded all their lives, living in an abandoned house near the river. They must escape to a place where they might be safe. In this horrifying book, we join Malorie's experience as she tries to move. The best thing about this book is that, it shows horror, not by describing images, but by describing sounds as the characters are being blindfolded most of the time. I find this a creative choice made by the author. 

Favorite quotes:

“How can she expect her children to dream as big as the stars if they can't lift their heads to gaze upon them?”

“It's better to face madness with a plan than to sit still and let it take you in pieces.”


3. Cinder by Marissa Meyer


This book is everything I ever wanted; it's a combination of fairy tale and science fiction. If you're interested in seeing wires sticking out of your disney princesses then this book is for you. It's offers a unique retelling of the story Cinderella. I love how Meyer painted vivid visions in my mind while reading it.

Favorite quotes:

"You can help me pick out a tiara when we're done saving the world."

“She was a cyborg, and she would never go to a ball.”

4. Quite Power by Susan Cain
5. The Night Circus


No comments:

Post a Comment